Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Best Birthday Cake Ever!!!

Dear Caleb,

When last we left off, you had been whisked away to the nursery! I thought you'd like to know what we did in those first two hours of your life and the days to follow while we got to know each other at the hospital.

Since I didn't have any drugs during your birth, the nurse told me I could do whatever I wanted while we waited for you to come back from the nursery- eat, shower, sleep, move to the room we would share- whatever I felt like doing. It had been a while since my last meal (the fancy one in Boston felt like ages before) so I opted for some lunch. Daddy called down to the caf to order it and we sat back to wait. While waiting for my lunch, he went down to the cafeteria to get his own. He came back with a giant piece of birthday cake. I'm not sure if it really was for me, but I decided it was and ate the whole thing while waiting for my lunch. It was the best piece of cake I have ever eaten. This might not seem like a very important story to share, but I wanted to make sure you knew that even on your very first birthday, the day you were born, I ate cake. Yum.

After lunch, I took a shower. When I got out, Abba had arrived. I'm still not sure how she finally heard the news, but she was there and so anxious to meet you. She helped us pack up and walked with us as we went to our new room. We called for you from the nursery and Abba got to meet grandkid number 9. She was so happy and couldn't believe how much you looked like your Daddy. She was the first person to say this, but certainly not the last. That was pretty much the common consensus! I saw it to and it made me so happy. My two handsome boys.

Abba was your first visitor on day one, but certainly not your last. Throughout the day, you met Auntie Emily, Cousin Aiden, Uncle Pat, Auntie Fallon, Auntie Erin, and Uncle Sean. It was a busy day so after dinner we decided you should go to the nursery for a little bit. I didn't want you to leave, but I hadn't slept in a long time and knew I should get some rest. I was a little sad, not only to send you away even for a short time, but because Nana and Granky hadn't seen you yet. When you were born, they were ten hours away, in Baltimore. I knew they were trying hard to get home to see you, but it was a long drive for them. As we were getting ready to bring you to the nursery, the door opened and in came Nana, Granky and Auntie Jeanie. They had made it afterall and were so excited to see you. I guess Nana wouldn't even let them stop to use the bathroom, she was so anxious to see you. It was such an awesome feeling, seeing my parents hold you. They stayed for a short while and when they went home, we all went to bed. Your first day was over, the most amazing day of my life.

No comments: