Monday, June 30, 2008

It Just Keeps Getting Better!

Dear Caleb,

I thought the day you were born was the best day of my life. Little did I know that each day would be better than the one before. Your daddy and I had so much fun getting to know you in the first days of your life. And we weren't the only ones! You had lots of visitors on day one, and even more on day two! This was the day you met Cousin Dillan for the first time. You also met Auntie Linda, Cousin Kate, Auntie Nancy, Auntie Jackie, Auntie Mazie, Uncle Brian, Cousin Ari, Cousin Jake, Kelli and Kara. Such a popular boy!!

In between visitors, Daddy and I took turns holding and staring at you. You were so perfect- tiny and beautiful! You slept a lot this day, so we also caught a few naps. When you were awake, you and I practiced feeding. By the end of the day, we were pros. I loved nursing you from the very beginning and you seemed to enjoy it too!

After the last visitors of the day left, Daddy and I decided he should go home for the night to get things ready for your homecoming the next day. We left the house in a hurry so Daddy wanted to straighten up, do some laundry, things like that. Even though I knew he would be back early the next morning, I was so sad when he left. I could tell he was too- he didn't want to leave you! After he left, I fed you one last time and sent you to the nursery until your next feeding.

I had barely fallen asleep when they brought you back. You were a hungry boy!! I changed you and fed you. Then fed you some more. Changed you again. Fed again. Over and over! No matter what I did, I couldn't get you back to sleep. You were happy when you were eating and I was holding you, but as soon as I put you down, you would start to fuss. I was so afraid I was doing something wrong! Finally, at around 6 in the morning I brought you back across the hall to the nursery. I explained the situation to the nurse and she assured me I was doing everything right, that in the first few days babies nurse alot. She said she would take you for a bit so I could get some sleep. When I woke up, Daddy was back. Boy, was I glad to see him!!

They brought you back from the nursery and we took you to a baby bath class. We learned how to clean you and give you a massage. Then it was time to go home! We got you all dressed up in the outfit Nana brought special for your first car ride and waited for the nurse to give us the okay to leave. We waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, at about 3:00 they let us leave. We carried you carefully out to the truck. After three days in the hospital, I thought it felt great to be outside. You weren't so sure! It was very sunny and cold- you didn't seem to like either. You fell right asleep in the car, though, and we were home in no time. Daddy and I were so happy and proud to bring our beautiful son home. The first part of the adventure was over, but the best was yet to come!

No comments: