Sunday, June 29, 2008

Your pregnancy, 9 months in review!

Dear Cal,

I can't believe you are here. I can't believe my time carrying you went by so fast! Here's a quick review of the time you spent in my belly. There are more details in the pregnancy journal that Abba gave me, but this letter will give you a quick summary!!

The story begins in July of 2007. Around the middle of the month, I began to feel pretty lousy. Daddy and I went on vacation with a few friends, and I felt awful the whole week. I started to get a little suspicious after an easy hike up Mt. Willard totally wiped me out. When we got home, I took a few tests, all of which said yup, you were coming. I called my doctor to make an appointment, but there wasn't one available for a few weeks. I was pretty nervous to make sure everything was okay, so I made an appointment for the next day at a clinic in Dorchester. I just wanted someone to check me out and let me know you were okay. Daddy came with me to this appointment- he was a little scared because the clinic wasn't in the best neighborhood- I think he was worried that was were I always went to the doctor! He had quite the time in the waiting room while I was being checked out by the doctor. There were a few women waiting with him who gave him the third degree. At one point, a nun came in and offered to get him something at Dunkin Donuts!

The people at the clinic confirmed we were pregnant and doing well. I was still so nervous, but Daddy was great. He made me feel a lot better. After the appointment we went home to do some talking and planning. All of a sudden, we had a lot of decisions to make. When would we tell people? Who would we tell first? Where would we live? What would we do for daycare? Would I keep working or stay home with you?

Since we were only about 7 weeks along, we thought we had plenty of time to make these decisions. Boy, were we wrong. The next 7 months flew by! I had doctor's appointments (after the first appointment at the clinic I went to my normal doctor at Crown Colony) at first once a month, then every two weeks, then every week. We heard your heartbeat and saw you on the ultrasound screen for the first time at 12 weeks. We had three more ultrasounds after that, but Daddy wouldn't let us find out if you were a boy or a girl. At each appointment, the doctor assured us you were doing great, and over time I stopped being so nervous and started being very, very excited.

There was lots to do between the appointments to get ready for your arrival. We had to tell our friends and family, who were so excited that you were on your way. Auntie Erin, Nana and Abba planned a great baby shower for us. All our family came, even Auntie Lauren from Virginia and Auntie Susan all the way from Seattle. They were so generous and you got so many great things. The pile in our living room was gigantic and we couldn't wait until you got here to use all the new things! The ladies from school had a shower for us too, and the pile grew some more. We realized how very lucky we were to have so many generous, loving people in our lives!

All in all, our pregnancy time was pretty uneventful! We both were healthy all throughout. I tried really had not to gain TOO much weight. I hated wearing maternity clothes and craved Doritos. We decided not to take any classes and instead read a lot in books and on the internet to get ready for you. I loved feeling you move in my belly (which was a good thing because you were quite the acrobat) and everyday I got more and more impatient waiting for your arrival. I counted the months, weeks and days. As your due date got closer and closer, I got more and more excited. Daddy and I talked and thought about you all the time!

My final doctors appointment before you came was on March 13th. I saw the nurse practitioner, who didn't seem to think you would be arriving anytime soon. As a matter of fact, she made me make an appointment for AFTER your due date, which I wasn't too happy about. You came a lot sooner then she thought, but that's a story for another letter!

No comments: