Sunday, August 3, 2008

All American Boy!

Hi Cal,

For a long time, the Fourth of July has been my favorite holiday. The weather is usually nice, the day is spent outside, cookouts mean no one has to spend tons of time preparing food, and there's no pressure for presents or spending tons of money. I love it!

In Quincy, the festivities usually kick off on the third, with bonfires, block parties and fireworks all over the city. When I was in high school and college, I loved going to the bonfire in Hough's Neck (but those are stories for another time). Times have changed a bit, so instead of going to Hough's Neck this year, we went to Tony and Kerry's for a lobster bake. Bard and Nadine were there too. It was lots of fun- you had a great time playing on your blanket of their floor, smiling and laughing with everyone. When it got to be bed time, you slept in your car seat in Tony and Kerry's room. A perfect angel on your first third of July!

The fourth has always been spent at Auntie Jackie's pool. She has a cookout and the whole family comes. Its usually a great time! This year was no exception. The weather was a bit cool, but other than that, things were perfect. Once again, you were the hit of the party- everyone passing you around, wanting to play with you. Even Abba came this year!

Like usual, you didn't sleep during the cookout. Too much to see, I guess. As it got later, I gave you to Uncle Mike to hold while I helped clean up. When I came back, you were sound asleep with him in the rocking chair. It was pretty cute, he was so happy to be spending time with you. It was the perfect ending to the day!

There was only one problem on the fourth this year. Nana had bought you an awesome bathing suit and matching shirt to wear. It was so cute and I couldn't wait for you to wear it. When I got you dressed, however, I couldn't find the suit. I could find the shirt, but not the suit. I turned the whole house upside down to find it, including dumping all your clothes on the floor. I think Daddy thought I was going nutso! I didn't find it and was so disappointed you had to wear something else. Of course, I found it the very next day, wedged behind the drawer! Despite this setback, we still had an excellent day. I hope you like this holiday as much as I do as you get older. But I don't think I'll be letting you go to the bonfire in Hough's Neck until you are much, much older!

No comments: