Sunday, August 3, 2008

Tears...

Hi Caleb,

I feel like we have to be honest, and tell some of the less pleasant things that happen in your life. Mostly you were a happy, laidback baby. You usually only cried when you were hungry. It was pretty rare that you would fuss for no reason. Most days, you woke up smiling. People often commented on how good you were. Sometimes, however, you would cry because of something Daddy or I did. It didn't happen too often, but when it did, it was the worst, so I'll just give you two examples- one Daddy, one Mommy.

The mommy example came pretty early on and happened at Nana and Granky's house. I was giving you a bath in the sink, which I do not like to do. You get very slippery and wiggly in your bath. Well, on this particular occasion, as I was washing you, you kind of slipped. Or I kind of dropped you. Under the water. I scooped you up immediately, but the damage was done. You had gone under the water and you didn't like it one bit. You cried like your heart was broken, real tears, and I almost cried myself. You recovered quick but it was still a very terrible moment.

The daddy example is a bit more intense. As I was feeding you one night, I noticed your fingernails needed to be cut and asked Daddy to do it while you were distracted with eating. He did and, in the process, cut three of your fingers. You screamed and cried louder than I have ever heard you. And you bled. A lot. Daddy felt awful, I thought he was going to cry. You are a pretty tough guy, so you got over it soon, but it was a long time until you got your nails cut again.

So there's the ugly truth. Sometimes Mommy and Daddy made mistakes. Sorry! We will try harder in the future not to break you!

No comments: